Deputy City Editor
Mike Bello has been deputy city editor at the Boston Globe for 12 years, covering crime, spot news and court arraignments.
■ MAN SHOT Boston’s recent spate of gun violence continued early Tuesday when a man was shot in Mattapan, making him the 18th person wounded by gunfire in the city since July 3. The man was shot in the area of 511 Norfolk St. around 1 a.m., according to Boston police. He was found nearby on Elizabeth Street and taken to a hospital with injuries that weren’t life threatening, a police spokesman said. The string of shootings began late July 3, when someone was shot at a street corner in Roslindale. By sunset Sunday — a span of five days — 17 people, including an 8-year-old girl, were wounded in shootings. All the victims are expected to live, police have said. Police said Tuesday it was too early to determine whether the Mattapan shooting was linked to any of the other cases.
By Mike Bello , Globe Staff
For Boston Globe deputy city editor Mike Bello, saying goodbye to the East Boston track means saying goodbye to his grandfather.
■ SHOOTINGS One man died and four others were injured after shootings in Boston Sunday, officials said. Boston police were called to 3 Duke St. in Mattapan around 3:02 p.m. and found a man suffering from gunshot wounds, police said in a statement. The man died at the hospital, and homicide detectives are investigating. At 9:26 p.m., police were called to 83 Maple St. near Franklin Park after a man was shot, police said. He suffered injuries that were not life-threatening. Just over an hour later, police were called to Dorchester for a report of a man shot at 83 Fayston St., police said. His injuries were life-threatening. Finally, around 11 p.m., officers responded to 197 Columbia Road where two victims had been shot and had taken themselves to the hospital. The two men suffered injuries that were not life-threatening, police said. No arrests have been made in any of the shootings. The homicide is the 21st in the city this year, compared with 24 at this time last year, according to Boston Police Officer Maisha Miraj.
■ BOY BURNED A 1-year-old boy was seriously burned Wednesday and flown to Massachusetts General Hospital after a campfire got out of control in the backyard of his Maine home, officials said. Wyatt Chandler was sitting next to his mother near their backyard campfire on Pleasant Street in Calais when the boy’s father, Joshua Barnard, tried to pour a flammable liquid over the fire, the Maine state fire marshal’s office said in a statement. “They were planning on cooking hotdogs and s’mores,” the statement said. The flames caught the bottle of flammable liquid, setting the plastic bottle on fire. Barnard dropped the plastic bottle, but the contents spilled on his son, burning 60 percent of the boy’s body, the statement said.