New England police blotter

 DROWNING A Special Olympics swim team member from Connecticut was walking with his mother on Ballston Beach in Truro on Saturday when he entered the Atlantic Ocean and was swept out to sea by a powerful wave, the Cape and Islands district attorney’s office said Monday. Ross A. Williamson’s mother tried to rescue him but she was knocked off her feet by the waves and injured, the office said in a statement. “Although Williamson was on a Special Olympics swim team, he was not a proficient swimmer and never went in the ocean due to the cold and the waves,’’ the office said. Authorities began searching for the 26-year-old Williamson, who was from Bolton, Conn., around 1:30 p.m. without success. His body was recovered about a mile north of Ballston Beach Sunday around 7:40 a.m. Sunday, according to authorities.

 GAMING BUST A Swansea-based company and six individuals have been indicted in connection with an illegal gambling and money laundering scheme in Southeastern Massachusetts, the attorney general’s office said Monday. Televend Inc. in Swansea was indicted by a grand jury last week on charges of keeping a place for registering bets; organizing and promoting gambling; unlawful operation of a gaming device; money laundering; and three counts of conspiracy, according to a press release. Six suspects — Clifford Wilson, 56, of Dighton; Deodato Faria, 68, of Fall River; John Camara, 59, of Somerset; Antone Oliveira, 75, of Fall River; Natercia Teixeira, 44, of Fall River; and Mario Teixeira, 52, of Fall River — were also indicted on a variety of charges, including unlawful operation of a gaming device and keeping a place for registering bets. The individuals were accused of distributing “illegal gambling devices to dozens of establishments throughout Southeastern Massachusetts,” the release said. “The machines, which operated like casino slot machines, were in direct competition with lottery products and for customers who opted to play the games,” the release said. “The AG’s office also alleges that there were various aspects of Televend’s business that were almost entirely cash based, which allegedly enabled laundering of the illegal gambling proceeds.” State Police conducted a series of coordinated raids in May and June 2018 to remove the machines from host establishments. More than $140,000 in cash was also recovered, the release said.

 BOATING DEATH A Kingston, N.H., man was killed and another man was hospitalized after their boat capsized off Rockport Sunday, authorities said. Rockport Harbormaster Rosemary Lesch said two men ended up in the water off Straitsmouth Island around 1:30 p.m. “They were out fishing and they went too close to the surf,” she said. On Monday, authorities identified the man who died as Paul E. Nadeau, 58. The man who was hospitalized is 59 and lives in Rockport.


Lesch said that a sailboat noticed the men in distress and alerted officials. Lesch and Rockport’s other harbormaster, Scott Story, went to the area and found the Rockport man had swum to the island. The conditions were very difficult, as a long offshore swell was creating breaking waves that were 10 to 15 feet high, Lesch said. “They were huge,” she said. The Coast Guard sent a helicopter crew from Air Station Cape Cod and a rescue crew from Coast Guard Station Gloucester to assist. Nadeau was found face-down in the water. Two Coast Guard crewmembers administered first aid, but he was unresponsive. The Rockport man and Story were airlifted from the island by helicopter to the Coast Guard station in Gloucester.