Metro

Acquittal for men accused of setting fire that caused homeless woman’s death

Firefighters battled the blaze at 94 George St. in Roxbury on Nov. 5, 2016.
Boston Fire Department
Firefighters battled the blaze at 94 George St. in Roxbury on Nov. 5, 2016.

A jury on Monday acquitted two men of causing the death of a 29-year-old homeless woman who perished in a fire, the Suffolk District Attorney’s office said.

Jurors found Marcus Dozier, 46, and Kenneth Ford, 44, not guilty of arson and second-degree murder in connection with the death of Michelle Trentor, who was sleeping in an abandoned house that caught fire under suspicious circumstances on Nov. 5, 2016. The verdict came after about two and a half days of deliberations, officials said.

County prosecutors argued that Dozier and Ford set fire to a building at 94 George St. in Roxbury while Trentor and a man were sleeping inside. The man escaped the flames by jumping from a second-floor window but Trentor did not survive, officials said.

Advertisement

Dozier and Ford lived in the abandoned building, which was known to neighbors and law enforcement as a place where homeless people went to use drugs, the Globe has previously reported.

Get Metro Headlines in your inbox:
The 10 top local news stories from metro Boston and around New England delivered daily.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Ford set the fire about 7:30 a.m. after warning other people who lived in the building that they needed to leave, a prosecutor said at his arraignment.

After leaving to get high for about 60 to 90 minutes, Dozier and Ford returned to find fire crews fighting a three-alarm fire.

Abigail Feldman can be reached at abigail.feldman@globe.com.