Names

NAMES

Conor McGregor tries to pick a Twitter fight with Mark Wahlberg

LOS ANGELES, CA - FEBRUARY 10: Mark Wahlberg attends Steven Tyler’s Second Annual GRAMMY Awards Viewing Party to benefit Janie’s Fund presented by Live Nation at Raleigh Studios on February 10, 2019 in Los Angeles, California. at Raleigh Studios on February 10, 2019 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Rich Polk/Getty Images for Janie's Fund)
Rich Polk/Getty Images
Mark Wahlberg

Conor McGregor announced his retirement on Twitter last week, but the former UFC champ is still looking to pick a fight.

“I’ve decided to challenge Hollywood actress Mark Walhberg [sic] next,” McGregor tweeted Saturday night, whiffing on both the actor’s name and gender. “A fight for all the shares!”

Why McGregor, who, according to The New York Times, is under investigation in Ireland for alleged sexual assault, chose to challenge Wahlberg is unclear. But the “shares” he mentioned seem to refer to Mark Wahlberg’s partial ownership stake in the Ultimate Fighting Championship empire.

Advertisement

Back in 2016, Wahlberg told TMZ he might be willing to sell the mixed martial arts fighter a piece of his stake if McGregor “cut the check.” But by June 2018, Wahlberg told TMZ Sports there was no deal on the table.

Get The Weekender in your inbox:
The Globe's top picks for what to see and do each weekend, in Boston and beyond.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

“I need my piece” of the UFC, Marky Mark said, before sliding into his white Rolls Royce.

As of Monday afternoon, Wahlberg had yet to respond to McGregor’s tweet.

One Twitter user advised McGregor to watch the 2005 film “Four Brothers” — in which Wahlberg plays a vengeful son — and take back the challenge.

“I’ll smack him and his 4 brothers around,” McGregor replied. “It wouldn’t be the first crew of brothers i’ve smacked around. Check the history books. The UFC history books.”
JENNI TODD

Jenni Todd can be reached at jenni.todd@globe.com