Throw some of this with pasta into a thermos for a happy lunch.
|¼||cup extra virgin olive oil|
|1||onion, small diced|
|1||carrot, small diced|
|2||stalks celery, small diced|
|¼||pound pancetta, small diced|
|1||tablespoon fresh sage leaves, chopped|
|1||tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped|
|1||pound ground veal|
|1||pound ground pork|
|1||pound ground beef|
|1||cup white wine|
|1½||quarts chicken stock|
|1||pint milled tomato|
|¼||cup canola oil|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
1. Heat olive oil in a large heavy bottom sauce pot. Toast the garlic; remove and discard.
2. Add the onions, carrots, and celery and saute until soft.
3. Add the pancetta and render for 5 minutes.
4. Add the sage and rosemary and cook for 2 more minutes until aromatic.
5. Add the ground meat and cook until meat is fully cooked and has released all of its juices.
6. Add milk and wine together and simmer until reduced by half, approximately 15-20 minutes.
7. Add stock and tomatoes and simmer for about 3 hours, stirring constantly.
8. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Skim excess fat from the top.
Adapted from Michael Schlow of Alta Strada and Tico